A very easy way of encouraging a group to pray
How does it work?
- Sit the children in a circle.
- Hold up an object – a Bible, a soft toy, a seasonal reminder like a Christmas stocking etc
- Explain: ‘We’re going to pass this round the circle, and as it comes to you, you might like to say a prayer out loud or in your head, then pass it on to the next person. If you don’t want to say anything, that’s fine, just pass it on.’
Give it a go!
You might like to try out these variations:
- Everyone says Amen as each short prayer finishes.
- You might specify that you’re going to pray thank you prayers, or sorry prayers or please prayers.
- You might ask the group to pray for something to do with a season: ‘Thank you God for _______ at Christmastime.’
- You might ask for prayers for a particular person or situation.
- You could ask them simply to mention something on their heart, and you incorporate all their thoughts into a spoken prayer at the end.
- You could put on some quiet music or light a candle.