Enabling primary school teachers and pupils to explore Christianity creatively, confidently and affordably
Why is BRF involved in primary RE?
Barnabas in Schools is BRF’s professional educational service supporting Religious Education in primary schools. Many schools struggle to meet the needs of today’s RE curriculum – covering a wide range of beliefs – with fewer teachers claiming much specialist knowledge, and limited resources. Headteachers are looking for help to meet their statutory obligations around Christianity and also collective worship. Distinct from our faith-based work, BRF’s professional Barnabas in Schools team helps schools explore Christianity in all these contexts – creatively and confidently, combining professional expertise with Christian commitment.
How our primary RE team works
BRF’s Barnabas in Schools team combines:
- in-depth understanding of the Bible and Christianity
- significant professional teaching experience and expertise
- considerable creative skills to bring the subject to life, and to equip teachers to do the same.
Barnabas in Schools comprises two staff members who work closely with a regionally-based freelance team operating throughout England.
Our in-house staff also work at both regional and national levels to help shape the future of primary RE.
The work of our team supports SEAL aims and objectives and the provision of RE, PSE and SMSC in primary schools.
As a member of the Religious Education Council of England and Wales, we support and adhere strictly to its Practice Code for Teachers of Religious Education.
What we’re working on
In 2019 we celebrated 20 years of Barnabas in Schools. We’re privileged to be able to explore Christian values, stories and themes with schools and see something of the difference it makes – to individual pupils, staff and the school culture as a whole.
We’re working on:
- Exploring what video-based INSET sessions might look like for schools. Our hope is that an online INSET would mean many more schools could access this content on demand, wherever they are based
- Improving our schools team training to ensure we maintain the high quality of our work and get the widest range of creative input into new themes
- Expanding what we offer through social media and the website to help more teachers discover our resources